Winter is quickly approaching, and while temps don’t get too cold here in Texas, cooler weather can wreak havoc on your joints, especially if you suffer from arthritis. If your joints cause you pain during the winter months, fortunately, there are some things you can do to stay warm, comfortable and pain-free.
Why does the cold cause joint pain?
There’s no one answer for why the cold can cause pain and stiffness. However, it may be due to the drop in barometric pressure that causes your tendons and muscle to expand. Since there is only a finite amount of space in your body, this may be what causes the pain, especially in joints of those who have arthritis.
How do I reduce my joint pain in the cold?
Thankfully there are several steps you can take to reduce the effect of cold weather on your aching joints. Take a look at the tips below and find what works best for you.
- Keep warm by dressing in layers. This can ease the shock of the colder weather.
- Maintain a healthy weight to reduce the stress on your bones and joints.
- Because heat helps relax your muscles, apply a heating pad or take a warm bath to help mitigate your pain.
- Exercise to build up your muscle strength. Strong muscles relieve some pressure from your joints so you are less likely to get injured.
- Avoid any unnecessary strain on your joints during your day to day activities.
- Stay active in the winter and stretch before going outside. Even just a walk per day can help keep your joints and muscles in good shape.
- Be sure to get a good night’s sleep and eat healthy. This can help you maintain a positive attitude and reduce your pain.
When should I reach out to my doctor?
Unfortunately, if you suffer from arthritis, joint discomfort during the winter may be a chronic side effect. However, if you are experiencing persistent swelling, redness, or a loss of motion, reach out to your doctor. Additionally, if your pain continues to worsen and causes you to struggle with your daily activities, visit your physician as soon as possible for help.
Joint Pain Treatment at Minivasive Pain
When it comes to your joint pain, getting relief from cold weather stiffness and discomfort is top priority. At Minivasive Pain, it is our mission to treat the causes of your pain with both the highest standards of care and quality. We have an experienced team of orthopedic surgeons on staff that can diagnose and treat the cause of your pain to help you get back to the joys of life in no time. With several locations throughout the greater Houston area, caring for your joint aches and stiffness is easy. To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, visit https://minivasivepain.com/contact-us/ or call us at (346) 800-6001.